In most cases, you must obtain a study permit if you want to study in Canada.

*Study and work permit holders from visa-exempt countries who received their permit on or before July 31, 2015 will have to get an eTA as of March 15, 2016 to return to Canada. Applicants who get their study or work permit on or after August 1, 2015 will automatically be issued an eTA along with their permit.


To be eligible to study in Canada
● You must have been accepted by a designated learning institution in Canada.
● You must prove that you have enough money to pay for your:
✔︎ tuition fees
✔︎ living expenses for yourself and any family members who come with you to Canada and
✔︎ return transportation for yourself and any family members who come with you to Canada.
● You must be a law-abiding citizen with no criminal record and not be a risk to the security of Canada. You may have to provide a police certificate.
● You must be in good health and willing to complete a medical examination, if necessary.
●  must satisfy an immigration officer that you will leave Canada at the end of your authorized stay.
Designated Learning Institution (DLI)
To apply for a study permit on or after June 1, 2014, you will need to have a letter of acceptance from a designated learning institution.
● Each province and territory in Canada is responsible for designating schools at the post-secondary level that may enrol international students on or after June 1.
● A list of designated learning institutions at the post-secondary level will be available on the CIC website by June 1, 2014.
● If your study permit application is received on or after June 1 and your letter of acceptance is from an institution that is not designated for international students, your application will be refused.
●  primary and secondary institutions in Canada are automatically designated but will not appear on the designated learning institution list. If you are applying for your child to study in Canada at the primary or secondary level.
Changing institution or program
If you applied for a study permit to attend a post-secondary institution after June 1, 2014, you must notify Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) via your MyCIC account every time you change institutions. You are not required to apply for a new study permit when changing institutions that are at the same level of study (e.g., from a college to a university).

For example, you must notify CIC if you submit a letter of acceptance from the University of Ottawa when you apply for your study permit but then transfer to Carleton University once you arrive in Canada.

You are not required to notify CIC when you change institution if:

● you applied for a study permit prior to June 1, 2014;
● you were issued a study permit to attend an institution at the primary or secondary level; or
● you obtained a study permit as the family member of a study or work permit holder (i.e., you were not required to submit a letter of acceptance when applying for a study permit).
Working off campus
Full-time students pursuing an academic, professional or vocational training program at a designated learning institution will be:
● eligible to work off campus without a work permit;
● allowed to work off campus for up to 20 hours per week during a regular academic session and full time during regularly scheduled breaks; and
● able to work off campus immediately rather than waiting six months.
To be able to work in Canada, however, you must be registered and enrolled at your designated learning institution, and you must get a Social Insurance Number from Service Canada.
Work as part of a co-op/internship program
● Starting June 1, 2014, you will be able to work as part of a co-op or internship program only if the work is an essential part of an academic, vocational or professional training program offered by a designated learning institution.
● To work as part of a co-op/internship program, you will need a co-op work permit that is separate from your study permit.
● If you are studying English or French as a second language (ESL/FSL), or participating in general interest or preparatory courses, you will not be eligible to work during your studies, unless you become eligible to apply for a work permit with a positive Labour Market Impact Assessment from Employment and Social Development Canada.
In some cases, you do not require a study permit to go to school in Canada.

● If you wish to study in a short-term course or program
You do not need a study permit if you plan to take a course or program in Canada that lasts six months or less. You must complete the course or program within the period authorized for your stay in Canada.

● Foreign representatives to Canada
If you are a family member or staff member of a foreign representative to Canada accredited by the Department of Foreign Affairs, Trade and Development Canada (DFATD), you may not need a permit to study in Canada. You should contact your embassy in Canada. Your embassy can contact the Office of Protocol at DFATD to find out whether you need a study permit.

● Members of foreign armed forces
If you are a member of a foreign armed force under the Visiting Forces Act, you do not need a permit to study in Canada. If your family members, including minor children, want to study in Canada, they must meet the requirements.

● Foreign nationals who are Registered Indians in Canada
If you are a citizen of another country who has Registered Indian status in Canada, you do not need a permit to study in Canada.

Call or E-mail us to arrange for a confidential
consultation assessment with us in our office, by phone or Skype.